The War of the Worlds
Want to join the book club of the future?
Subscribe to this serialisation and earn the power to pick upcoming titles in our classic science-fiction book club!
When a meteor containing alien life crash-lands in a field near Woking, the town’s inhabitants are more than a bit curious. That is until the Martians start wreaking violent havoc and the military are called in, marking the beginning of an extraterrestrial war.
Originally serialised in Pearson’s Magazine , H.G. Wells’ forward-thinking science-fiction classic has never been out of print and anticipates aspects of modern life, from space expeditions, to travel to Mars and all-out war.
A brutal book that will terrify residents of the Home Counties in particular, this novel was lightyears ahead of its time and remains a pillar of the science-fiction canon.
- An 118 year-old novel that's still adored
- Packed full of terrifying Martians!
- A tour de force from the original master of sci-fi
Join our sci-fi book club by signing up to The War of the Worlds and vote for our next book in the series! Contenders include:
- True History by Lucian of Samosata, the first ever piece of sci-fi
- The Defenders by Philip K. Dick, a novelette by one of the greatest sci-fi writers
- Sultana’s Dream by Begum Rokeya, a Bengali feminist utopian novel
- House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson, in which interdimensional swine-like creatures run amok
I for one welcome our new Martian overlords. (War of the Worlds sculpture, Woking.) pic.twitter.com/PYXaaFIIhZ Boiiiiii War of the Worlds never ceases to captivate me!!
I for one welcome our new Martian overlords. (War of the Worlds sculpture, Woking.) pic.twitter.com/PYXaaFIIhZ— Jack Fraser (@muninnherself) November 9, 2016
Boiiiiii War of the Worlds never ceases to captivate me!!— Karly Syverson (@KarlySyverson) November 6, 2016